Posted on February 01, 2017 15:46
Water Operator of the Year Award. The Water Operator of the Year Award was established in the early 1970’s and has been presented annually to a water treatment plant operator for excellent achievement in the direct operation of either a water or wastewater treatment system in South Carolina.
|Consideration shall be given to:|
The WEA Blue Ridge Foothills District recipient of the Water Operator of the Year has had a long career with Seneca Light and Water. Steven R. Fletcher has been the head operator, lab director and plant supervisor at the Seneca Water Treatment plant for 24 of his 29 years as an employee.
- Preventative maintenance, including cleanliness, safety, good housekeeping, and efficiency;
- Consistent quality of the finished product with approved standards;
- Active interest in plant and system improvements, including laboratory;
- Cooperation with fellow employees and regulatory personnel;
- Cooperation, coordination and utilization of data in operations and management;
- Extra effort in working with local people on civic programs that enhance the public’s understanding of the water/wastewater profession;
- Solving operational problems with innovative operation or implementation of new or cost saving techniques;
- Continuing effort and initiative to upgrade himself/herself and other co-workers;
- Consistently aware and actively involved in plant safety for him/her and fellow co-workers.
He has overseen and supervised plant operations over three (3) major upgrades at the facility within the past twelve (12) Years. Two of these upgrades involved converting the traditional sedimentation basins to a DAF process which was the first of its kind in the United States. The third and most recent upgrade involved converting the chlorine gas disinfection system to a sodium hypochlorite system, an overhaul of the plant’s sludge handling system, a new lab, control room and operations facility as well as a public conference/meeting area. This latest project was recognized last year as the Municipal Association of SC Achievement Award for Public Works. Throughout, these upgrades, under Steve’s leadership, the water plant continued operations without interruption and maintained the water system’s long string (15) of EPA Area Wide Optimization Program Award. In addition, the American Dental Association has recognized Seneca Light and Water as one of only two utilities in SC to receive their prestigious award for 50 years of consistent fluoride control. For this consistent and outstanding service to the City of Seneca and Seneca Light and Water, the Director of Utilities nominated him for this award. Tonight, we present the WEA Blue Ridge District Water Operator of the Year award to Steven R. Fletcher, head operator and supervisor of the Seneca Water Treatment Plant.